St John's, Baillieston
When St John's was built in 1850, Baillieston was at the centre of an expanding mining industry. The first Curate-in-Charge was the Reverend J Watson Reid, afterwards for over forty years incumbent of Christ Church in Glasgow's East End and Dean of the Diocese.
The church registers reveal the terrible conditions of life in the district in the mid-nineteenth century with a high infant mortality rate and early deaths from contagious diseases and mining accidents.
Before the end of the century the possible closure of the church was under consideration but the Year Book of 1900 reports "The Incumbency of Baillieston, which was itself in danger of extinction, has recovered sufficient life to have opened a Mission at Shettleston."
The future of the church was in doubt following the closing of the collieries but with the development of housing in Garrowhill in the inter-war years the membership doubled with the influx of young people but unfortunately many soon moved on.
In January 1996 St. John's joined with St. Serf's, Shettleston and St. Kentigern's, Dennistoun and the East End Team Ministry officially came into being.
Former and Current Clergy:
St John the Evangelist (d. Ephasus c.100) Youngest of Jesus' disciples, author of the Gospel of St John.
St Kentigern's, Dennistoun
St Kentigern's came into being after the closures of St Barnabas's, Dennistoun and Holy Trinity, Riddrie in the mid-1980's.
The small congregation of St Barnabas's had moved into a side aisle of Dennistoun Central Church in late 1983 with the full permission of the Presbytery of Glasgow and the Kirk Session of Dennistoun Central Church and on 1st July, 1984, a small chapel within the aisle was dedicated in honour of St Kentigern by the Rt. Reverend Derek A Rawcliffe, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway.
St. Kentigern's has strong links with the former Christ Church, Mile End, the first Episcopal Church in Glasgow's East End, opened in 1835 and closed in 1978.
In January 1996 St Kentigern's joined with St Serf's, Shettleston and St John's, Baillieston and the East End Team Ministry officially came into being.
Former and Current Clergy:
J Graham, 1984-95
S P Holland 1995-96
J M McLuckie 1996-2000
A C Salmon 2001-2003
C G Wylie 1998-2008
A E J Richardson 2009-2015
M Crook 2016-2017
J Benton-Evans 2018-
St Kentigern (c.518 Lothian - Glasgow c.603; feast day 14 January) St Kentigern (also known as Mungo) is the patron saint of Glasgow and was first Bishop of Strathclyde c.543. He was ordained by St Serf at Culross.
St Serf's, Shettleston
The Reverend George Crane, Rector of St John's Baillieston from 1895-1907, opened a mission at Shettleston in 1899 with a celebration of Holy Communion once a month on a Sunday and on the Greater Festivals.
By 1914 the congregation worshipped in a classroom in Eastmuir School and in 1917 a corrugated iron building in South Chester Street was dedicated as a Mission under the Rector of Baillieston.
In 1934 the present church, designed by Whyte and Galloway as a memorial to Canon E J Petrie, was dedicated.
It remained a dependent mission of St. John's, Baillieston for some years and was later served by the clergy of Christ Church, Mile End.
After some years as an Independent mission the link with Baillieston was later restored and both are now, together with St. Kentigern's Dennistoun forming the Glasgow East End Ministry.
P Walker 1924-28
J Marshall 1974-82
St Serf (feast day 1 July). Serf lived in Culross in the 6th century and ordained Kentigern (later first Bishop of Strathclyde).
What is the Scottish Episcopal Church?
It is called Scottish because we trace our history back to the earliest known Christian communities in Scotland about 400 AD. It is called Episcopal (from the word for Bishops) because we have maintained a form of church order involving bishops, priests and deacons.
You can find more about our history, news, activities and worship on our website www.scottishepiscopal.com
We formed a particularly close relationship with the Episcopal Church in the USA in the late 1700s - one of the most turbulent periods in our history. During a period of heavy persecution, three of our bishops met in Aberdeen and secretly consecreated Samuel Seabury as the first American Episcopal Bishop. Today we are part of the world-wide Anglican Communion, which also includes the Church of England and the Episcopal Church in the USA.
Year by year, decade by decade, century by century the Church has changed. Great developments in recent years have included new liturgies, the establishment of the General Synod (our central governing body), the development of women's ministries and the launch of Mission 21, a church wide mission initiative. We have also been increasingly involved in talks and meetings with the other Christian traditions in Scotland, and with leaders of the country's other faiths. Changes will continue to happen, but all will be well if the Church continues to hold fast to its love of God and concern for the people of this nation.
The love that was there for Ninian, Columba and all the early Saints of Scottish Christianity has not changed. God continues to guide those who seek to walk in his ways. We pray that the Scottish Episcopal Church will do this in partnership with the other Churches of this land in the years ahead.